mr/vcsh integration

Sat Apr 27 07:51:12 CEST 2013

On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 2:24 AM, Andre Klärner <kandre at ak-online.be> wrote:

> madduck's last mail reminded me about something I struggeled with when I
> started using vcsh and read about all that mr-related stuff.
>

> One of my first impressions was, that one could register a vcsh-repo with
> mr quite easily with "mr register" but it seems to only work with regular
> repositories.

Sadly, no.

I (obviously) prefer my approach, but Joey introduced lazy repos into mr in
the meantime so I fear my approach may remain a step child. Maybe it's time
to admit defeat and split vcsh's mr layout into "new user" and "advanced
user" sections.

Has someone an idea how this might be possible to achieve?
> Also I thought about a "vcsh clone --register-with-mr $URL" if that might
> be easier.

That looks icky to parse in POSIX shell, but doable.

https://github.com/RichiH/vcsh/issues/44

Also I found it quite hard to understand how to use mr to clone and
> maintain my repositories, and I think I still got it not totally right and
> simply stopped the trying over and over each time testing with a new user..
> If one of you wants to point me to my errors:
> http://git.ak-online.be/?p=kandre/mr.git

This still uses a lot of workarounds that used to be needed but not any
more. If you make this cloneable, I will fix it for you.

Also, committing the softlinks from available.d to config.d defeats the
purpose of the modular pick & mix system.

Richard