Python script for automatic synchronization based on inotify

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Fri Mar 18 22:59:07 CET 2011

Today I tried out bouth sparkleshare and dvcs-autosync.

I found sparkleshare very disappointing.  I spent more time reporting bugs for all kinds of stupid things then actually using the software.. I got it to sync 1 file then it stopped and I gave up.
https://github.com/hbons/SparkleShare/issues/79
https://github.com/hbons/SparkleShare/issues/80
https://github.com/hbons/SparkleShare/issues/81
https://github.com/hbons/SparkleShare/issues/84

Your program passed my initial testing, the code seems more robust and the design is more sane.
(when I asked the sparkleshare maintainer why they generate a new ssh (unencrypted) keypair and launch their own ssh-agent, he told me "because otherwise we had various problems")
Also, I'll take 605 lines of python over 9k lines of mono any day.

I have already one bugfix for you:
http://gitorious.org/~dieterbe/dvcs-autosync/dieterbes-dvcs-autosync/commit/f510cd5975244cbb0d0558b8929baf68bfa59425

I hope to contribute more later on.  Preferably once you have a clean git history.
I will try to start relying on this to synchronize my notes, and then some other files..

To round off:
1) What's the idea behind autosync-server? doesn't the xmpp method work just fine?
2) What's the very minimum a user should do (other then installing the software and configuring ~/.autosync) ?
What I did: (in this case, in ~/.autosync path is set to ~/autosync)
$ ssh server git init --bare test.git
$ cd ~/autosync && git clone server:test.git

Note if you do this, server:test.git won't actually have a master branch yet.
So when i touch ~/autosync/test, I get this:

No refs in common and none specified; doing nothing.
Perhaps you should specify a branch such as 'master'.
error: failed to push some refs to 'server:autosync.git'

workaround is typing `git push origin master` once. after that it works fine.

cheers,
Dieter