Python script for automatic synchronization based on inotify

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Fri Mar 18 23:21:34 CET 2011

On Fri, 18 Mar 2011 22:59:07 +0100
Dieter Plaetinck <dieter at plaetinck.be> wrote:

> To round off:
> 1) What's the idea behind autosync-server? doesn't the xmpp method work just fine?

I can answer this one myself now.  the README section mentions you had the
idea of using a simple tcp protocol. or "whatever sparkleshare does" (they
implement a simple synchronisation protocol over irc).  I thought the big
advantage of xmpp was that it so robust? messages get delivered after
connectivity issues etc.  So I would probably stay with that. (or maybe zeroMQ
is what you want: http://www.zeromq.org/intro:read-the-manual )

I have some more questions now:

3) What's the best way to package this?  Where should files go? autosync.py
in /usr/bin, but jabberbot.py... ?
maybe /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/jabberbot.py, that's where the jabberbot package installs the file on Arch Linux anyway.  or maybe submit your patch upstream, so that you don't need to include a modified jabberbot.py. and it will be easier for packagers.
4) How about, in commit messages, listing all files which are affected in this commit?

Dieter