A git story

chombee chombee at lavabit.com
Thu Mar 11 14:43:00 CET 2010

I kept all my files in a git repo. Eventually the repo got too big to
handle. I archived the .git file and started afresh with git init. Now
I'm looking at some really old work (from a couple of years back), from
my notes I can't figure out some exact details that I need, and the
history of my git repo doesn't go back far enough, the work happened
before the archiving of the .git folder. So where is my archived .git
folder? I don't know! I have a feeling I may have deleted it, thinking
that I had everything I needed in the working copy of the files and
didn't need to keep this ancient history around.

So the moral is, never delete.