A git story

Kevin T. Neely ktneely at astroturfgarden.com
Thu Mar 11 21:52:17 CET 2010

Ha, i'm about to break your moral.  I'm looking at moving from my own
Subversion server (mostly b/c it's become a pain to manage from behind ISP
dynamic DNS and I don't need a server running all the time) to the hosted
service at rsync.net.

Soo, there are some image and data files from old projects I no longer need
nor care about, and I have trimmed them using the svnadmin d ump and then
svndumpfilter.  I'll be using the trimmed files for my hosted content.

I'd like to come up with a good way to protect my data via encryption.
Something better than creating a Truecrypt volume and syncing that,
instead.  Which pretty much defeats the purpose but is all I have come up
with so far.

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 5:43 AM, chombee <chombee at lavabit.com> wrote:

> I kept all my files in a git repo. Eventually the repo got too big to
> handle. I archived the .git file and started afresh with git init. Now
> I'm looking at some really old work (from a couple of years back), from
> my notes I can't figure out some exact details that I need, and the
> history of my git repo doesn't go back far enough, the work happened
> before the archiving of the .git folder. So where is my archived .git
> folder? I don't know! I have a feeling I may have deleted it, thinking
> that I had everything I needed in the working copy of the files and
> didn't need to keep this ancient history around.
>
> So the moral is, never delete.
>
> --

In Vino Veritas
http://rubbernecking.info