git for mail (was: Git)

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Wed Nov 28 15:37:09 CET 2007

also sprach Venkatesh Srinivas <me at acm.jhu.edu> [2007.11.27.1520 +0100]:
> The mail model I use is that I have an inbox, which is kept as small
> as possible, and a 'saved-messages', which is all my archives and mail
> shuffled out of the inbox.

I've thought about this for a bit and I could imagine some cool uses
of Git for mail, such as attaching procmail logs to commits and the
like, so that they'd always be tied to the message.

However, unless one has such a simple mail flow as you, I would not
trust Git with mail, simply because it does not observe the Maildir
algorithm and doesn't bother to lock mailboxes. If I move a message
to a folder and push the change, let the server pull it and that
happens right around the time when procmail delivers a message to
the folder, the two could collide because Git does not observe the
Maildir approach.

  \____ echo mailto: !#^."<*>"|tr "<*> mailto:" net at madduck

no micro$oft components were used
in the creation or posting of this email.
therefore, it is 100% virus free
and does not use html by default (yuck!).

spamtraps: madduck.bogus at madduck.net