Git

Venkatesh Srinivas me at acm.jhu.edu
Tue Nov 27 15:20:57 CET 2007

On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 11:02:53AM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
>[please format your mail to 68 chars per line]

Sure. Why 68 characters, by the way?

>also sprach chombee <chombee at nerdshack.com> [2007.11.26.0233 +0100]:
>> I'm not versioning everything in my homedir, I leave out music,
>> photos, videos and the like,
>
>why? Git's storage format should actually be able to deal with those
>quite well, better than the diff/snapshot/weave-based VCS at least.

For files like music or photos or moves, which tend not to be
changed, what does using a VCS gain for you? Also, how does git
deal with large (movie-sized) files?

>also sprach chombee <chombee at nerdshack.com> [2007.11.26.2200 +0100]:
>> So Joey finds that git works well for mboxes, and Venklatesh finds
>> it works well for maildirs. Okay. I have maildirs. I'll give it
>> a try.
>
>I don't see the benefit of using Git for mail. Why not offlineimap?

For me, the major difference was speed.

The mail model I use is that I have an inbox, which is kept as small
as possible, and a 'saved-messages', which is all my archives and
mail shuffled out of the inbox. Offlineimap was very slow to sync
moves between the inbox and saved-messages - it had fallen into a
mode where a complete sync would have taken ~45/50 days. Perhaps it
was a problem with my server setup? Perhaps an artifact to trying
to sync from a Maildir  with 28k messages? No idea.

Also offlineimap doesn't like when a server doesn't report the full
contents of a mail folder - this can happen when a server runs out
of memory, for example. In my case, it interpreted the mails that
the server didn't load as ones that it needed to delete and
proceeded to delete those messages locally.

Both of these problems may not have been offlineimap's fault, but
the all-round experience of using git for mail has been better.

Thanks,
--
-vs