Git

chombee chombee at nerdshack.com
Tue Nov 27 14:16:03 CET 2007

On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 11:02:53AM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach chombee <chombee at nerdshack.com> [2007.11.26.0233 +0100]:
> > I'm not versioning everything in my homedir, I leave out music,
> > photos, videos and the like,
>
> why? Git's storage format should actually be able to deal with those
> quite well, better than the diff/snapshot/weave-based VCS at least.

I guess I just didn't want the repository to get too big.

> I don't see the benefit of using Git for mail. Why not offlineimap?

I'm not sure if I will bother to use git or not. Depends how
much hassle it is. Synchronisers like offlineimap make me
queasy though. It is fairly easy to destroy all your email.
Say something goes wrong on a client, and your email gets
deleted or moved or something on that client. Then without
noticing it you run offlineimap. The change gets propagated
to the server, and now all your email is gone from the
server too. offlineimap will delete thousands of emails
instantly without warning if it feels it's the right thing
to do. The first you know about it is when you read
"Deleting 10,000 emails from imap (inbox)". If you are
watching, you may manage kill the program after the first
few thousand. I have had this happen, I'm sure you can tell.
So you lose both copies. You can tell it to just set the
delete flag and not expunge, which is what saved me. I
also wonder what happens if emails get corrupted on one
client, or if offlineimap's metadata gets corrupted. In
theory, the more client copies you have the more likely
corruption will happen, and if corruption happens on any one
of them then at some point it will be synced to the master
copy and then to all the other clients.

So I like git because it keep versions and because it does
cryptographic checks to find corruption.