Wiki Updates

Kevin T. Neely ktneely at astroturfgarden.com
Mon May 14 22:39:50 CEST 2007

On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 04:49:43PM -0700, Martin Fick wrote:
> --- "Kevin T. Neely" <ktneely at astroturfgarden.com>
> wrote:
>
> What Ken and Adam are suggesting I think is a solution

<snip>

> I don't think that you are doing the same thing that I
> was suggesting, I think that maybe you have it
> reversed?  Instead of having a home directory that
> points to various other trees, you want multiple home
> directories that point to the external trees (which
> can actually be in the same repository).

That is correct.  What I want is to basically have a single version of any given file or directory, but have different subsets of all my data depending upon which computer I am using (e.g. which repo I check out)

> You need to create several versions of your home
> directory:
>
>  svn+ssh://server.com/svn/repos/home/work
>
>  svn+ssh://server.com/svn/repos/home/laptop

I believe I have figured out how to do everything except for all the dotfiles in $HOME

My current setup is:

	/usr/local/svn/ktneely
		    ../work
		    ../finances
		    ../src

for directories with actual data in them, and then

	/usr/local/svn/full
		    ../light
		    ../guest

for repositories that I will actually checkout.  Then, I had planned on using externals such that when I checkout "full", it would pull in all of the repos; when I checkout "guest", it would only pull in config files from $HOME (ktneely); and "light" might pull in ktneely and the most active directories with commonly-edited documents but not the src as I would not need those.

What I don't want to do is maintain different .- and other config-files for the different computers.

I have figured out how to do all of this, but my knowledge of subversion is too limited to figure out how to grab the $HOME files and place it into ~/

Is that a better explanation of what I am attempting to achieve?  I think I did a poor job of explaining it the first go-round.  The advantage is that in the explaining, I get a better idea of what I am doing and how to get it done (even if I'm doing it all wrong!)

thanks,

--
In Vino Veritas
http://astroturfgarden.com