Wiki Updates

Martin Fick mogulguy at yahoo.com
Sat May 12 01:49:43 CEST 2007

--- "Kevin T. Neely" <ktneely at astroturfgarden.com>
wrote:

What Ken and Adam are suggesting I think is a solution
to a different problem than what you were originally
asking about.

In the previous email you said:

>> I guess my only problem is how to do this
gracefully
>> with my current setup which is my $HOME with some
>> svn:externals pointing to the source
>> tree, work tree, and personal tree...

I believe that the problem you are trying to address
is having different home directory layouts depending
on where your home directory is checked out to?

> This is pretty much what I am thinking, as well.  I
> went to actually implement this, and ran into a
> problem.  When I propedit the svn:externals, I
> cannot do something like:
>
> . svn+ssh://server.com/svn/repos/home

You cannot make the current directory an external, are
you trying to do this and then somehow change the
external as you go to another machine?

I don't think that you are doing the same thing that I
was suggesting, I think that maybe you have it
reversed?  Instead of having a home directory that
points to various other trees, you want multiple home
directories that point to the external trees (which
can actually be in the same repository).

You need to create several versions of your home
directory:

 svn+ssh://server.com/svn/repos/home/work

 svn+ssh://server.com/svn/repos/home/laptop

and then check the appropriate one out to the
appropriate home directory.

So if you are at the office you would not check out
svn+ssh://server.com/svn/repos/home, but you would
check out  svn+ssh://server.com/svn/repos/home/work to
$HOME.  Now in this directory the subdirectories would
all (or mostly all) be externals such as mail,
music...

So, if the repo dir work has externals like this:

 mail  svn+ssh://server.com/svn/repos/mail
 music svn+ssh://server.com/svn/repos/music

when you check out
svn+ssh://server.com/svn/repos/home/work like this:

 cd /home/kevin

 svn co svn+ssh://server.com/svn/repos/home/work .

(Note: the '.' at the end is important, if you omit
it, you will get a dir named /home/kevin/work)

You will now get:

  /home/kevin/music
  /home/kevin/mail

If you then had lapop home dir setup with just your
mail, in  svn+ssh://server.com/svn/repos/home/laptop
like this:

 Mail svn+ssh://server.com/svn/repos/mail

You could check this out on your laptop

 cd /home/kevin

 svn co svn+ssh://server.com/svn/repos/home/laptop .

and get an uppercase Mail dir since maybe your mail
client on the laptop wants it named 'Mail':

 /home/kevin/Mail

Does that make a little more sense?

-Martin