Wiki Updates

Adam Compton comptona at gmail.com
Sat May 12 01:12:53 CEST 2007

<snip>
>> This is pretty much what I am thinking, as well.  I went to actually
>> implement this, and ran into a problem.  When I propedit the
>> svn:externals, I cannot do something like:
>>
>> . svn+ssh://server.com/svn/repos/home
>>
>> where home is a repository of what i want to appear in $HOME.  I
>> suppose I could pop up to /home on the client machine and edit the
>> properties like
>>
>> username svn+ssh://server.com/svn/repos/home
>>
>> but that is weird as I would essentially be working outside of my
>> home dir.
>>
>> Is there a better way to do this?
>>

> That's what various kinds of svnfix scripts are all about, the goal
> being that you stick this stuff in another externals directory and
> symlink it into place. So you create
>
> .common_dotfiles svn+ssh://server.com/svn/repos/home
>
> and have the script make symlinks like
> .foo -> .common_dotfiles/foo
> .bar -> .common_dotfiles/bar
>
> My svnfix script on the wiki may be helpful here, or you may want a more
> automatic way of discovering what should be symlinked.

You can also add symlinks to subversion themselves; since 1.1, I think,
they will be handled properly.

My setup has a .common directory with "bash", "elisp", "work", etc.
directories beneath it, which are each checked out with svn:externals.
My home directory repository then just contains a stack of symlinks,
which resolve properly once the .common directory is checked out.

- Adam Compton