Example configuration of mr with vcsh?

John Whitley whitley at bangpath.org
Sat May 28 21:24:02 CEST 2016

Marc Haber <mh+vcs-home at zugschlus.de> wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> thanks for sharing your code.

glad to hear it’s been helpful!

> What is exactly the process of bootstrapping? Do you scp the bootstrap
> script to the host and execute it there, or do you start over with
> cloning the repo, checking out the bootstrap branch and then executing
> it?

The bootstrap script is intended to be copied to the install system, and run from there. Generally, I just use curl, wget, or even just a browser to grab the script.  I do this in manual steps for new physical systems (e.g. new laptop), and have automated it for VMs, etc.

>> The mr config lives at `.config/mr`.  Pre-configured repos live at
>> `.config/mr/available.d`, and are symlinked into place to enabled them
>> on a given system in `.config/mr/config.d`.  The symlinks in
>> `config.d` are therefore the default enabled repos.
>
> And this lives in the master branch of the vcsh-root repo which is
> cloned by bootstrap.sh?

Yes, that’s right.

> Thank you very much. Together with the other examples in this thread
> and RichiH's vcsh_mr_template mentioned in the man page this should
> give me ample supply of things to chew on.

Great.  My repo is effectively a version of RichiH’s template tweaked and customized over time to my needs.  So you get to see a baseline with his version and an adapted one with mine.

Cheers!
John