Example configuration of mr with vcsh?

Marc Haber mh+vcs-home at zugschlus.de
Sat May 28 16:04:24 CEST 2016

Hi John,

thanks for sharing your code.

On Fri, May 27, 2016 at 12:47:04PM -0700, John Whitley wrote:
> You can check out my setup at jwhitley/vcsh-root on Github[1]. See
> also the bootstrap branch at [2].  I’ve been meaning to add README
> files to these (and have setup vcsh for it!) but haven’t actually
> written those out yet.  :-(
>
> So here’s a quick primer to my setup.  Dig in, and feel free to ask
> questions. I well realize that this stuff can be a bit mazelike.
>
> # Bootstrapping
>
> The bootstrap branch contains the setup script (bootstrap.sh) that’s
> used to install my vcsh configuration on a new system.  This is used
> on new physical hosts as well as on VMs.  E.g. I’ll have a step in a
> Vagrantfile that installs my setup on development VMs.  The bootstrap
> script also handles a lot of initial git configuration.

> The bootstrap script is purposely minimal.  Rich bootstrap logic is
> provided via vcsh hooks.  See the hooks-available and hooks-enabled
> directories at [3], and browse the hook files for details.

Nicely done. Now this fits together. Thanks.

> # vcsh and mr notes
>
> This repo uses its own local copies of vcsh and mr, since they are
> bootstrap requirements and there’s no telling whether these tools are
> even available from any local package manager.  These are installed
> under the `~/local` hierarchy.

What is exactly the process of bootstrapping? Do you scp the bootstrap
script to the host and execute it there, or do you start over with
cloning the repo, checking out the bootstrap branch and then executing
it?

> The mr config lives at `.config/mr`.  Pre-configured repos live at
> `.config/mr/available.d`, and are symlinked into place to enabled them
> on a given system in `.config/mr/config.d`.  The symlinks in
> `config.d` are therefore the default enabled repos.

And this lives in the master branch of the vcsh-root repo which is
cloned by bootstrap.sh?

Thank you very much. Together with the other examples in this thread
and RichiH's vcsh_mr_template mentioned in the man page this should
give me ample supply of things to chew on.

Greetings
Marc