ls tricks for git-annex?

Axel Beckert abe at deuxchevaux.org
Thu Sep 25 08:58:52 CEST 2014

Hi Martin,

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 07:34:00AM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> So now that I am using git-annex for almost all of my stuff, I need
> to stay sane when using normal tools (which now see symlinks),
> mostly /bin/ls -l (which currently makes my eyes bleed until I add -L).
>
> Sure, I could add -L to my existing /bin/ls alias, but I don't
> *want* to do that on all symlinks.

There are IIRC at least several packages in Debian which can change
the shell setup based upon the current working directory or similar
like rbenv/rvm and python's virtualenv.

I though don't use any of them, so this is just based on the
descriptions of these packages:

direnv - Utility to set directory specific environment variables
environment-modules - Modular system for handling environment variables
envstore - save and restore environment variables

Rereading the package descriptions now, it sounds as if direnv could
help you there, because you'd just need to add an .envrc file into
your git annex and alias ls to something like "ls
$GIT_ANNEX_LS_OPTIONS" or such.

		Kind regards, Axel
\ /  Say No to HTML in E-Mail and News            | abe at deuxchevaux.org  (Mail)
 X   See http://www.nonhtmlmail.org/campaign.html | abe at noone.org (Mail+Jabber)