DVCS-Autosync: syncmethod = none

René Mayrhofer rene at mayrhofer.eu.org
Tue Oct 25 19:52:25 CEST 2011

On 24.10.2011 23:50, Dieter Plaetinck wrote:
>> I changed the syncmethod to none, since I dont want to use Jabber. I
>> thought, that autosync will check every xx minutes for changes on the
>> git server, but nothing happens. Is it not implemented? I was used to
>> it with sparkleshare and it is quite handy.
Dieter is correct, syncmethod = none will not do any synchronization
with other instances. For this use case, a syncmethod = poll or
something similar may be helpful, but I won't (realistically) get around
to implement that in the next few months myself. Patches are certainly
welcome!

>> How does autosync get the host name? I get following commit message
>> with hostename "None":
>> "Autocommit of file ... changed on host None"
It uses the host name reported by the system (should be the same you get
e.g. by calling hostname).

>> Autosync makes correct commits to the repository, however, no push is
>> performed thereafter:
>>
>> DEBUG:root:Substituting cmd part %s with Autocommit of file
>> /srv/http/pim/calendar2.ics changed on host None
>> DEBUG:root:Command 'git commit -m Autocommit of file
>> /srv/http/pim/calendar2.ics changed on host None' in '/srv/http/pim'.
>> Output:
>> [master 6c055fd] Autocommit of file /srv/http/pim/calendar2.ics
>> changed on host None
>>    1 files changed, 0 insertions(+), 9021 deletions(-)
>>    delete mode 100644 calendar2.ics
>>
>> DEBUG:root:git reported that there is nothing to commit, not touching
>> commit timer
>>

>> Or is it deactivated if syncmethod = none?

No, it shouldn't be, and I have not observed that behaviour (but I am
not using syncmethod = none in practice myself). This might be a bug.

best regards,
Rene