Doc on creating a remo repo without cloning

Joey Hess joey at kitenet.net
Sat Nov 26 01:06:02 CET 2011

Thomas Koch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm starting to learn git-annex and tried by creating one local git-annex
> enabled repo on my laptop. Then I wanted to create another non-bare repo on my
> server to push to it.
>
> I can not access my laptop from the server, since I'm sitting behind a NAT.
> However there are at least two hurdles when I want to create another repo
> without cloning:
> - I can not push to the remote repo without setting
>       receive.denyCurrentBranch ignore

Push to a bare repository, and clone the bare repository.

> - When I do a simple git push, git tries to push the git-annex branch. However
> I understand that the git-annex branch is local to each repo and should not be
> shared? I get non-fast-forward complains on a push attempt.

No, the git-annex branch contains its state which must be shared between
all repositories, so it knows which repositories have which files.
You may need to run `git annex merge` before pushing this branch. Most
of the time, git-annex automatically does this merge.

--
see shy jo