mr: chaining to absolute paths

Adam Spiers vcs-home at adamspiers.org
Sun Nov 6 23:20:44 CET 2011

On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 9:48 PM, Joey Hess <joey at kitenet.net> wrote:
> Adam Spiers wrote:
>> Thanks for the info, but I'm confused because that doesn't seem to
>> correspond exactly with the layout you gave earlier.  For example, you
>> said that you have a ~/doc/.mrconfig, but you didn't say that there
>> was a repository tracking ~/doc itself - only that ~/doc had various
>> document repositories inside it.
>
> Every directory I showed is a separate repository.

I see, so you are indeed nesting.

>> So is your ~/doc/.mrconfig tracked by a repository?  If so it sounds
>> like you have nested repositories, which git would presumably detect
>> as submodules unless you are using a symlink manager?
>
> git does not detect nested git repos as submodules, that would have to
> be explicitly set up.

True - I just did a quick experiment to confirm that the subdirectory
containing the nested repo shows up as an untracked file until you add
it (which registers it as a submodule) or ignore it.  So if you are
not using submodules then presumably you are adding your nested repos
to .gitignore, or just simply tolerating the noise in 'git status'
output?