Is there any interest in a patchset for mr to manage which repos are being handled?

Adam Spiers vcs-home at adamspiers.org
Tue Dec 13 12:58:56 CET 2011

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 9:31 PM, Richard Hartmann
<richih.mailinglist at gmail.com> wrote:
> You surely spent a _lot_ of time and effort on this.

Well, yes - I started the design and implementation of cfgctl[1] in
2005, whereas I first looked at mr in any detail about 7 weeks ago.
So only the porting of those ideas to mr is new, not the ideas
themselves.

> After reading all of this, I am not sure why you couldn't just put
> your group definitions into available.d and use full paths in there?
> That should allow you to do lazy checkouts of groups, etc.

It looks like you probably already realised this from my other reply, but in
case it still isn't clear, (a) selection at the repo group level is
not fine-grained enough for me, and (b) ignoring the fact that full
paths are more awkward than the short repository identifiers my
--repos patch supports, I don't understand what you are suggesting by
"use full paths in there", unless you mean something like

    mr -c ~/.config/mr/available.d/mygroup $action

?  But even that wouldn't work, because it would omit substantial
amounts of config included by ~/.mrconfig and shared across all my
groups:

    https://github.com/aspiers/mr-config/blob/master/.mrconfig

However, even ignoring all these reasons, the requirement for a
namespace of short repository identifiers (which cannot contain the
'/' character) is an unavoidable consequence of supporting integration
between mr and GNU Stow, since Stow already requires it.  My --repos
patch automatically builds this namespace by taking the basenames of
each repository directory, and then carefully handling the minority of
cases where these are non-unique with minimal disruption to the end
user.

[1] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.home-dir/356/match=cfgctl