new mr patches on their way (not quite ready yet though)

Adam Spiers vcs-home at adamspiers.org
Sun Dec 4 12:43:19 CET 2011

On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 3:42 PM, Joey Hess <joey at kitenet.net> wrote:
> Adam Spiers wrote:
>> OK, so to summarise, would it be correct to say that you are prepared
>> to review
>>
>>   (a) a master branch only containing self-contained commits
>>
>> and/or
>>
>>   (b) topic branches which contain a series of non-self-contained
>>       commits representing a single line of development?
>
> Yes.

OK great, I've started work on this and will post separately about it.

>> I have mr acting on ~70 repositories.  Each one results in several
>> hundred lines of output with -v5 (which is equivalent to your upstream
>> '-v'), or a minimum of ~15 lines with -v4 (which hides 'lib' code).
>> So we are talking about either hundreds or thousands of lines of
>> output.  Therefore to debug certain things (usually issues with one of
>> my plugins or .mrconfig files) I frequently have to pipe the output to
>> less(1) and then use a combination of grepping and scrolling up/down
>> by the page.
>
> If you're trying to debug something, why are you running mr on more
> than the one repository necessary to reproduce the problem?

That depends entirely on the context, and can include but is not
limited to the following reasons:

  (a) running on more than one repository is required to reproduce the
      problem (e.g. when using or debugging options which limit which
      repositories are used, or when running from a particular
      directory)

  (b) I want to compare the behaviour of mr across multiple
      repositories

  (c) I don't know in advance which repositories exhibit the problem

Ultimately, as with the color-or-no-color discussion, it comes down to
personal taste in workflows.  Even if we discussed this for another
week we might not reach a consensus.  Unfortunately I don't have time
to risk that, which is why I previously asked and would *really*
appreciate an answer to:

   Under what terms (if any) you are willing to accept patches which
   accommodate other people's tastes regarding mr output (e.g. color,
   verbosity, STDOUT vs. STDERR and so on) ?

If the answer is "none" then that's not a problem, I will just keep my
modifications as a regularly rebased branch on top of the upstream.

Thanks,
Adam