[announce] Sharebox, a FUSE filesystem relying on git-annex

Christophe-Marie Duquesne chm.duquesne at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 04:42:52 CEST 2011

I'll try to gather things I can answer to:

I see you include fuse.py - http://code.google.com/p/fusepy/ - in your repo.
> how does it compare to fuse-python -
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/fuse-python ?

fusepy is written with ctypes while fuse-python is a full-blown C extension.
At first, I was using fuse-python, but I ended thinking fusepy was less
bloated and less painful (just a file to include versus a library to compile
and install).

where will you store this backup copy? introducing a node/repository which
> will hold backup copies can be considered going to a centralized model;
> which is something you (Christophe-Marie) try to explicitly avoid, but I
> think this is not necessarily a problem)

git-annex does location tracking. Even if you delete the link, the file is
still there and other repositories know what repositories have the file. If
you want to be sure the file is always reachable, you have to force a
repository to act central and to download every files. That is a mount
option I have already added ( -o getall).

This is also an area I hope to improve in git-annex, by using git smudge
> filters. So it might get a mode where files can be modified and git
> commit just annexes the new content.

That would be great. I am not sure using fuse would still be necessary,
then.