Announcing: dotfuse a project this list may find useful

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Wed Apr 6 10:47:13 CEST 2011

also sprach Erich Heine <sophacles at gmail.com> [2011.03.13.1710 +0100]:
> I'm not sure how to get around this just yet, other than suggest
> not using this system for configuring programs that modify the rcs
> internally. Although now that I think about it, a read could
> trigger a hook, calling a per config file script which would know
> how to parse the config and possibly decompose it to the
> appropriate templates.

You could write a diff of the file as written by the programme
against the file as would be generated from the templates. Existence
of a diff would trigger warnings to the user whenever possible to
reintegrate the diff into the templates. I use this system for my
SSH known_hosts management: new hosts are added to a temporary file,
and SSH (wrapped by a zsh function) warns me of its existence,
meaning that I have to integrate new hosts.

"it usually takes more than three weeks
 to prepare a good impromptu speech.
                                                         -- mark twain

spamtraps: madduck.bogus at madduck.net