[announce] git-annex

Yaroslav Halchenko lists at onerussian.com
Wed Oct 20 18:52:48 CEST 2010

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010, Joey Hess wrote:
> The storage of the logs may eventually go to a separate branch and be
> always committed automatically. There are some performance issues with
> including all the logs in the main tree, and some annoyance factor,
> especially if you try to switch branches in a repository. I need to
> find a completly merge-free and efficient data structure for the logs
> first, http://git-annex.branchable.com/bugs/branching/

does it also mean, that in the case of a separate branch, I could use
'annexed' repository alongside with a regular GIT repository at the same
location which would contain the development tree with large files
moved under annex control?

why am I asking -- one of the problems in neuroimaging software
development is the reliance on large datafiles necessary for various
parts of the development or deployment process.  Inclusion of those into
a source tree repository makes it really heavy (real story:
recently converted 4.5GB CVS repository into a 3.5GB GIT one; it shrinks
to 100MB if major data files get stripped down. project has been
developing since early 90s).  So, I wondered if annexing could be a
viable solution to inject those data files into a regular GIT repository
allowing for optional 'getting' upon necessity, and without re-tailoring
repository structure (i.e. where data files should go, since often they
are spread around).

Thank you in advance for ideas/feedback

--
                                  .-.