[announce] git-annex

Joey Hess joey at kitenet.net
Wed Oct 20 18:16:20 CEST 2010

Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:
> lovely, finally I can get everything back
>
> git annex get my_last_10_years_of_my_life_back.happiness
>   I was unable to access these remotes: girls

hah! (what are their uuids? :P)

> oops
>
> ;)  so, I followed the  walkthrough and isn't there "git commit" missing
> after
>
> git annex init
>
> invocations which leave .git-annex/uuid.log staged but not committed

There was -- but I've made it autocommit after git annex init now.

> I have just closed my eyes and proceeded forward but obviously I messed
> up -- whenever I switched to a newly created annex on a usb drive (also
> just staged uuid.log) where I have not added anything, it fails to 'git
> pull' since changes are staged for .git-annex/uuid.log which is to come
> from the 'home' now

Right, git will refuse to do a union merge if there are uncommitted
changes; once you commit them you can proceed with the pull and it will
auto-merge the logs in all cases.

The storage of the logs may eventually go to a separate branch and be
always committed automatically. There are some performance issues with
including all the logs in the main tree, and some annoyance factor,
especially if you try to switch branches in a repository. I need to
find a completly merge-free and efficient data structure for the logs
first, http://git-annex.branchable.com/bugs/branching/

Thanks for trying it out!

--
see shy jo