rcs options

Charles Mauch cmauch at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 04:29:15 CEST 2006

Hey all!

I just discovered this list after revisiting Joey's site.  I've been
keeping my homedir in subversion for a little more than a year now, and
have been recently been toying with the idea of trying out some of the
newer rcs software that's been popping up these days.

I have quite a bit of experience with both CVS and SVN, so I've been
looking at software that operates in a somewhat similar manner.  I made a
stab at switching to SVK about a week ago - and it's just not working out.

For one thing, while SVK offers the incredibly useful disconnected mode of
operation, the lack of externals support is driving me nuts.  It also seems
to clobber my hard links, which I use to keep particular files syncronized
between repositories.  Subversion seemed to respect my hard links.  The
other thing I liked about SVK was the fact that it did not spread .svn or
CVS or {{arch}} directories throughout my filesystem.

I also tried gnuarch for a few days, but arch's idea of namespace's feels
totally wrong and frankly confuses and eludes me.

Do any of you use other rcs systems to manage your homedirs?  I've heard of
mercurial, git, darcs, bzr and a few others.  What I'd *like* is to find
something comparable with svn or cvs syntax, but offers the ability to work
offline like gnuarch or svk.  The concept of including an external repo, or
at least mirror a portion of a repo from within another would be really
handy too (aka: snv:externals)

Thanks!  And Joey, thanks for that article back on onlamp.  My
homedirectory has never been quite the same :)

--
Take it easy, Charles

FSF Apologist, WikiNut, Concrete Analyst, etc.

:: Playing "Remind" by Orbital (Orbital 2)