/etc in svn home

Ken Bloom kbloom at gmail.com
Sun Dec 10 01:39:10 CET 2006

On Friday 08 December 2006 17:45, Dafydd Jones wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> having kept my /home in svn for the best part of a year now, I'd like
> to progress to keeping the changes I make in /etc in svn as well.
>
> Without giving it much thought, I imagine this will require a dir in
> my /home working copy and symlinks from there to the appropriate
> place in /etc.

Putting /etc in /home is a bad idea, for many reasons, not the least of
which is bad security.

I suggest making a new repository for /etc with different access
permissions than /home. Failing that, you should use a completely
separate directory of your repository which doesn't get checked out
into /home.