dynamically set VCSH_BASE and XDG_CONFIG_HOME

bernd at bschu.de bernd at bschu.de
Sun Oct 28 16:58:48 CET 2018

Is it possible not only to handle files in $HOME with vcsh ?

For example, if I want to have git repositories for files in /etc, I
would like to use /etc/.config/vcsh/, because $HOME/.config/vcsh/
would not work. Or is there a way to make it work ?

vcsh should be able to find the next .config/vcsh/ in actual working
dir, as standard git searches for .git.
In then following sccript vcsh is called with the original arguments
after the two variables VCSH_BASE and XDG_CONFIG_HOME are set.

I have no experience with vcsh.
Do you think the following script will work as expected ?
Or is there a design problem ?

#!/bin/sh

export VCSH_BASE
export XDG_CONFIG_HOME
VCSH_BASE="$(realpath .)"
XDG_CONFIG_HOME=""

while :; do
   if [ -d "$VCSH_BASE/.config/vcsh" ]; then
     break
   elif [ "$P" = "/" ]; then
     VCSH_BASE=""
     break
   else
     VCSH_BASE="$(dirname "$VCSH_BASE")"
   fi
done

if [ "$VCSH_BASE" ]; then
   echo "myvcsh: <git-project-dir>=$VCSH_BASE"
   XDG_CONFIG_HOME="$VCSH_BASE/.config"
   vcsh "$@"
else
   echo "ERROR: myvcsh: no .config/vcsh/ found" >&2
   echo "  To create a new <git-project-dir>: mkdir -p
<git-project-dir>/.config/vcsh" >&2
   exit 1
fi