using git submodules with vcsh

Antonio Ospite ao2 at ao2.it
Wed Apr 4 15:33:46 CEST 2018

On Sat, 5 Jan 2013 18:14:13 +0100
Richard Hartmann <richih.mailinglist at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Andre,
>
> submodules are still a point of contention with vcsh.
>
> Problem is, git needs to support a way to move .gitmodules around, which it
> does not currently have.
>
> That submodules work at all with vcsh is a relatively recent development.
> git didn't clean up its own variables properly, that bug was discovered by
> vcsh users and took ages to be resolved.

Sorry for picking up this old discussion but my question seems to fit
here.

Richard, I found this discussion where you talk about working with
submodules in detached bare repositories in general:
http://git.661346.n2.nabble.com/git-submodule-vs-GIT-WORK-TREE-td7562165.html

And, as you say, the issue about GIT_DIR and GIT_WORK_TREE has been
solved:
http://git.661346.n2.nabble.com/PATCH-Solve-git-submodule-issues-with-detached-work-trees-td7563377.html
https://github.com/git/git/commit/be8779f7ac9a3be9aa783df008d59082f4054f67

> I sent email to git's ML some time ago asking for a way to support
> different locations for .gitmodules but to no avail, yet.

However in the archives of the git mailing list I didn't find the
messages about the hardcoded .gitmodules path.

I just wanted to have a peek of what git developers think about it
before writing on that matter again.

Thanks,
   Antonio

--