best : one repo or multiple repo ?

John Whitley whitley at bangpath.org
Wed Mar 8 02:14:40 CET 2017

One per config file seems like too many.  I create a separate repo when
I have a specific reason to do so.  Some examples:

* When one set of configs grows becomes complex in and of itself (zsh,
vim, etc)
* When I want to point others at a logical part of my configs without
everything all in a jumble (zsh, emacs, vim)
* When I may want to play with an experimental branch for part of my
configs.
* Separation of concerns, e.g. platform or work-related repos as Lorenzo
mentioned earlier.

Most of my current repos, as an example:

vim -- all of my (neo)vim configs
zsh -- all of my zsh configs
local -- a ~/local directory, modeled after /usr/local, with utility
scripts, etc.
$ARCH -- platform specific repos, e.g. "macos, linux"
dotfiles -- a catch-all for all of those other dotfiles that one
accumulates

-- John