Example configuration of mr with vcsh?

Marc Haber mh+vcs-home at zugschlus.de
Sat May 28 22:57:28 CEST 2016

On Sat, May 28, 2016 at 01:09:48PM -0700, John Whitley wrote:
> Marc Haber <mh+vcs-home at zugschlus.de> wrote:
> > On Fri, May 27, 2016 at 12:47:04PM -0700, John Whitley wrote:
> >> You can check out my setup at jwhitley/vcsh-root on Github[1].
> >
> > One more question: When you live with this setup, is there a "golden
> > host" which you usually use to push your changes, or do you regularly
> > push from any host that might have been the cause or a change?
>
> No.  I assume that there are multiple hosts which may have changes “in
> flight”.  This may be a desktop vs. laptop, personal vs. work system,
> multiple work VMs, and so on.

And this does work in practice? Impressive. Does it take special
discipline or does it just work?

> > Are all your host's checkouts on the master branch and get
> > continuously rebased when you pull, or do you have host-specific
> > branches on all hosts? If you have host-specific branches, how do you
> > push/merge/pull/fetch to distribute your changes to other hosts?
>
> See my vcsh hooks at [1]: one hook runs `git config pull.rebase true`
> on every repo.  Thus any attempt to pull into one of my vcsh managed
> repos automatically rebases.

That's what I reckoned, I was just not sure whether you do branch and
needed more clarification.

>   So my workflow is generally:
>
> 1) `vcsh pull`, to grab any changes on GitHub not on this host.  This
> rebases.

> 2) `vcsh push`, and done.
>
> It’s really rare that I have any conflicts during rebase.  When I do,
> they always tend to be trivial.  Conflicts most commonly happen
> because I forgot to push some important fix from one host and decide
> to rewrite it on another.

I understand.

> This creates a purely linear history, and I find to be much easier to
> manage than per-host repos, IMO.  No merging to multiple branches, no
> complex history.

I'll try it thiat way.

> As for per-host configuration, I use two approaches.  First, my zsh
> setup has both environment and alias configuration that’s architecture
> specific from files under `~/.zlocal/${arch}`, and optionally loads
> non-version controlled, this-host-only configuration from
> `~/.zlocal/this`.  Second, I can always modify the enabled set of
> vcsh/mr repos on one host.  If needed, I’ll add a host-specific repo
> if there are changes that really need to be versioned and isolated
> (e.g. for a work context).

I am having my doubts whether that will work in my setting, but I'll
try it.

Greetings
Marc