Noob question

Wed Mar 11 22:24:07 CET 2015

On Sat, Mar 7, 2015 at 4:07 PM, Jean-Christophe Boggio
<vcsh at thefreecat.org> wrote:

> I'm discovering vcsh and try to write a noobs howto in french

Great! If you send me the link and/or the text, I can link to it or
put it into the docs.

> echo "test" >.totorc
> vcsh init toto
> vcsh toto add .totorc
> vcsh commit -m "first commit"

As Maarten pointed out, if I supported that, it would use the same
commit message for all repos. That's almost certainly not what the
user wants.

I _could_ try to warn in non-obvious cases, but I fear that this is a
rabbit hole of chasing down corner cases.

> If I add .totorc once again it will get committed but this makes it useless.

Useless, how? `git commit` would act the same. You need to `git add`
files or to use -a.

> vcsh init toto
> vcsh toto add .totorc
> vcsh toto commit -m "first commit"
> [master (commit racine) 96f8587] first commit
>  1 file changed, 2 insertions(+)
>  create mode 100644 .totorc
>
> The -m is recognized

Correct; this time you are executing in the context of "toto", not in
the global context.

> echo "Another test" >>.totorc
> vcsh toto commit -m "second commit"
> toto:
> On branch master
> Changes not staged for commit:
>         modified :         .totorc
>

> :-( Same fail.

You either need to `vcsh add .totorc` or `vcsh toto commit -a -m "second commit"

> I'm using Debian's version 1.20140508-1

1.20140508-1~bpo70+1? If you are using Jessie, 1.20141026-1 is available.

Richard