newbie: "fake" README for remote of a `vcsh` repo?

Tom Roche Tom_Roche at pobox.com
Tue Feb 10 19:46:36 CET 2015

Vincent Demeester Tue Feb 10 19:30:08 CET 2015 (rearranged) [1]
> The downsides of this approach is that you have to create/edit the README "outside" ~/ and vcsh (in another working copy).

That does *not* sound like a problem to me. In fact, (IIUC) I originally proposed doing something like that:

TomRoche 9 Feb 2015 ~1730 EST [2]
>> I thought I could do something like

>>   $ mkdir -p ~/info/software/vcsh/fake_repositories/vcsh-bash-fake/
>>   # edit ~/info/software/vcsh/fake_repositories/vcsh-bash-fake/README.rst
>>   $ pushd ~/info/software/vcsh/fake_repositories/vcsh-bash-fake/
>>   $ ls -al # check to see that it indeed is there
>>   $ vcsh vcsh-bash add README.rst
>>   $ vcsh vcsh-bash status | | head -n 20
>>   > Changes to be committed:
>>   >       new file:   README.rst

>> but vcsh is too smart for that:

>>   $ vcsh vcsh-bash commit -m 'add a README for the remote'
>>   > [master e4d4230] add a README for the remote
>>   >  1 file changed, 6 insertions(+)
>>   >  create mode 100644 info/software/vcsh/fake_repositories/vcsh-bash-fake/README.rst

> If you setup a vcsh hook at the 'correct' time (i.e. between the init and the first fetch)
> that will set-up the repository with sparseCheckout to ignore the README(s),
> you won't even have to think about seeing README.rst in git status and git diff.

OK, but note the "newbie" in the Subject line :-) I'm a beginner-level `git` user and a totally-novice-level `vcsh` user. So can you either explain how to setup the `vcsh` hook, or point me to doc? (I'm good with RTFM if I know where to find them.)

Your assistance is appreciated, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche at pobox.com>

[1]: http://lists.madduck.net/pipermail/vcs-home/2015-February/000986.html
[2]: https://github.com/RichiH/vcsh/issues/147#issue-57104673