newbie: "fake" README for remote of a `vcsh` repo?

Mark Stillwell marklee at fortawesome.org
Tue Feb 10 14:12:34 CET 2015

On 15-02-09, Tom Roche wrote:

> For the gory details, see
>
> https://github.com/RichiH/vcsh/issues/147
>
> but my request boils down to this:
>
> I'm using `vcsh` to VC files in $HOME (et al), but
>
> 1. I want to leverage the goodness of `vcsh`/`mr` and have repos for bash,
> emacs, ssh, etc
>
> 2. I also want to have remote repos (for now, privates on Bitbucket)
>
> 3. I also want my remotes to have READMEs.
>
> 4. I'm trying to standardize my READMEs on reST (which is advantageous for
> some scientific projects on which I'm *really* working)
>
> So I'd like to know, how to create a README.rst in a "fake" but committable
> vcsh repo, rather than in $HOME ? Note I'd bail to Bitbucket's web UI to
> create my READMEs, but their web editor will only take Markdown, so I'd
> very much prefer to create a ./README.rst for my project ... just not in
> $HOME.

The easiest thing to do is to set up a vcsh hook that configures the
repositories to ignore certain files when they're checked out:

https://github.com/marklee77/homedir-bootstrap/blob/master/bootstrap.sh

To set up a new home directory I run:

     curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/marklee77/homedir-bootstrap/master/bootstrap.sh | sh

Note that the version of vcsh that is packaged with some versions of ubuntu
has a bug in it, so that it will look for hooks in
$XDH_CONFIG_HOME/vcsh/hooks-enabled rather than
$XDG_CONFIG_HOME/vcsh/hooks-enabled. The easiest fix is just to set
XDH_CONFIG_HOME=${XDG_CONFIG_HOME}.

Cheers,
--
Mark Stillwell