cdgit: cd relative to git workdir root

Adam Spiers vcs-home at adamspiers.org
Mon Sep 16 23:36:46 CEST 2013

On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 09:01:14PM +0200, Thomas Koch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I frequently have the need to cd back to the root of the current git workdir
> and created to alias for this:
>
> git alias root = rev-parse --show-toplevel
>
> shell alias cdgit = cd $(git root)
>
> Maybe somebody likes this.

I do, and I was about to copy it into my own config when I discovered
that I'd already done this 4 years ago and totally forgotten about it :)

> Now it would be cool, to have an alias to cd into a specific subdir of the git
> worktree and have zsh (or bash) auto completion for this like
>
> git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/git/git.git
> cd git/gitweb/static/js/lib (just to be somewhere deep)
> cdgit con<tab>/com<tab> (becomes: cdgit contrib/completion)
>
> Somebody with zsh/bash skills who already did this?

I hadn't done this before today, but it's easy in zsh:

  https://github.com/aspiers/git-config/commit/89df1d78

Of course, _gitcd needs to be somewhere on your $fpath so it can be
autoloaded.