How to start syncing two existing directories with git annex?

Sean Hammond snhmnd at gmail.com
Sun Nov 24 21:03:37 CET 2013

Hey, I have a ~/Music directory on computer A, and a ~/Music directory
on computer B. They contain mostly the same files (and with the same
paths). But there might be some files on A but not B, or vice-versa. And
there might be some files on both but different (e.g. different id3 tags).

I want to use git annex assistant to sync the two dirs. Neither computer
is big enough to hold two copies of the Music dir at once. Ideally, I'd
prefer not to have to delete the Music dir from computer B, for example,
and then let git annex sync it from A over to B again.

I've setup git annex assistant on both machines and have them syncing
their ~/Annex dirs over the local network.

Now how can I start syncing the two music dirs? What will happen if I,
for example, drag ~/Music into ~/Annex on computer A then, without
waiting, do the same on B?

I could use unison to make sure that the two ~/Music dirs are exactly
the same, and resolve any differences, before moving anything into
~/Annex. Maybe that would be a good idea?

Thanks