Version Control for Writers

Elena ``of Valhalla'' elena.valhalla at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 09:17:23 CEST 2013

On 2013-07-31 at 17:31:51 -0400, Dylan Kinnett wrote:
> I joined this group because I'm interested in using version control
> software to help writers, editors, publishers, scholars and archivists. In
> [...]
> I would be grateful for any thoughts, comments, advice, etc. that any of
> you might be able to provide.

Non directly to the point, but one thing that could help is also moving
from office documents to a format that is more vcs-friendly; I have
collected a couple of links to the point at

http://www.trueelena.org/computers/articles/restructuredtext_for_fiction.html#further-readings

and expecially

http://tadhg.com/wp/2009/07/12/moving-from-word-processors-to-restructuredtext/

from a (tech-friendly, admittely) writer who did exactly that move.

One thing that I suspect could help less tech-friendly writers
is to have some integration for VCSes in a writer's editor
or in some text editor without the complexity of a full IDE.
Maybe reText would be a good candidate.

http://sourceforge.net/p/retext/home/ReText/

--
Elena ``of Valhalla''