One git-annex repo refuses to see if remotes have files

Sean Whitton spw+lists at sdf.org
Fri May 18 14:04:47 CEST 2012

Two local repos: zephyr, artemis.  One special encrypted rsync remote:
metaarray.

I frequently add files on one real machine, git annex copy --to
metaarray so I have a second copy, and then at a later point (once git
trees have been synced) I will run git annex get --from metaarray on
the other machine to get the file.

But on artemis this doesn't work and I'm not sure how to debug.
Example:

zephyr$ git annex add oldscm/doc.2012.tar.gz
zephyr$ git annex copy --to metaarray oldscm
zephyr$ git commit -a && git push
artemis$ git pull
artemis$ git annex --verbose get oldscm/doc.2012.tar.gz
get oldscm/doc.2012.tar.gz (not available)
   No other repository is known to contain the file.
failed
git-annex: get: 1 failed
[so it doesn't know about zephyr's copy nor metaarray's copy]
artemis$ git annex --verbose get oldscm/doc.2012.tar.gz --from
metaarray
[no output, so it won't even try SSHing over to metaarray to see if
the file is there]

How might I go about resolving this?

Thanks.

Sean