status of sharebox-fs?

Joey Hess joey at kitenet.net
Tue Jun 5 18:30:07 CEST 2012

Dieter Plaetinck wrote:
> very neat.  looking fwd to it.
> wrt. your notes about dvcs-autosync.  the most frustrating part about it that I've found is that there's some bad race conditions which are basically not solveable
> because of some assumptions git makes.  I did some research myself and tried to explain it in detail @ http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.home-dir/665

Yes, it's hard to get right, many many possible races to consider.
I'm already using git rm --cached and think I may have an ok rm.

Have been considering manually staging git-annex's symlinks using
git update-index, rather than using git add, to avoid the races
inherent in using it.

A trick I like to use when dealing with races is to intentionally make the
race windows very wide, so it's easy to try racey things. A side benefit
here is that it'll allow coalescing related changes into a single update
of the git index, so going slower will in fact speed things up.

You can check out the "watch" branch in git-annex's git repo to
see what I have so far.

--
see shy jo