omitting repo headers with 'mr run'

Joey Hess joey at kitenet.net
Sun Feb 12 18:16:03 CET 2012

Adam Spiers wrote:
> I've automated this workflow into another script called 'git-dwim'
> (i.e. "Do What I Mean"), although it could equally be called
> 'git-sync-with-upstream'.  Of course now I want to run this across all
> my repositories via mr, but mr currently assumes that actions are
> non-interactive (until they fail and the --interactive switch is
> given).  For example, if --quiet is provided, all output from the
> action is captured, and then only output if the action returns a
> non-zero exit code.  Clearly this is not compatible with interactive
> actions.

It would be more accurate to say that neither -j nor --quiet can be used
with interactive actions. mr commit can be an interactive action unless
-m is provided, so they're certianly supported by mr in general.

One approach could be to add a flag denoting which commands can be
interactive and refuse to run them with -j or --quiet. Although mr
really has no way of knowing if a commit has flags specified that make
it noninteractive. The other approach is to accept that like all unix
tools this can be used to shoot yourself in the foot.

--
see shy jo