Corrupt git-annex repository

Fri Oct 28 16:45:43 CEST 2011

Hi all,

somehow, I manage to attract all the bugs...

My laptop died during a copy to a repo on a local USB drive.

After rebooting, I saw that several files are corrupt, amongst them
part of the git-annex data.

Now, when I try to copy anything, I get a load of:

fatal: ambiguous argument 'git-annex..refs/remotes/origin/git-annex':
unknown revision or path not in the working tree.
Use '--' to separate paths from revisions
fatal: index file smaller than expected

git-annex: <file descriptor: 8>: hPutBuf: resource vanished (Broken pipe)
failed

When I run git annex status, I get:

supported backends: WORM SHA1 SHA256 SHA512 SHA224 SHA384 SHA1E
SHA256E SHA512E SHA224E SHA384E URL
supported remote types: git S3 bup directory rsync web hook
known repositories: fatal: ambiguous argument
'git-annex..refs/remotes/origin/git-annex': unknown revision or path
not in the working tree.
Use '--' to separate paths from revisions
fatal: index file smaller than expected

git-annex: <file descriptor: 7>: hPutBuf: resource vanished (Broken pipe)
failed
fatal: index file smaller than expected

git-annex: <file descriptor: 6>: hPutBuf: resource vanished (Broken pipe)
failed
git-annex: 2 failed

I did not run anything else for fear of making the situation worse.
And yes, this is affecting a repo I have not copied everything away
from, yet. And yes, it took days to get my files in order.

Not happy but hopig for help,
Richard