git-annex on Windows

Joey Hess joey at kitenet.net
Tue Mar 15 15:35:35 CET 2011

Moritz Bartl wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I love the idea of git-annex. Can you give me a hand to get it to work
> on Windows?

Well, I can tell you that it assumes a POSIX system, both in available
utilities and system calls, So you'd need to use cygwin or something
like that. (Perhaps you already are for git, I think git also assumes a
POSIX system.) So you need a Haskell that can target that. What this
page refers to as "GHC-Cygwin":
http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/6.6/html/building/platforms.html
I don't know where to get one. Did find this:
http://copilotco.com/mail-archives/haskell-cafe.2007/msg00824.html

(There are probably also still some places where it assumes / as a path
separator, although I fixed some.)

FWIW, git-annex works fine on OS X and other fine proprietary unixen. ;P

--
see shy jo