Announcing: dotfuse a project this list may find useful

Erich Heine sophacles at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 17:10:21 CET 2011

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 10:12 AM, Dieter Plaetinck <dieter at plaetinck.be>wrote:

> <SNIP>
> > I sure would appreciate your thoughts, bugfixes, etc on
> > this.
>
> Another problem is some apps try to be clever and update your configs for
> you.
> How do you handle that? Is the Fuse fs mounted ro ?

Well, right now the actual dotfile is not in the fuse fs. What happens is
this: there is the dotfiledir lets say it is set up like so:

~/dotfiles/
     _foo/
          foo
          componentA
          componentB

When anything in ~/dotfiles/_foo/ is written (actually fsynced), The fuse fs
runs the template system on foo (possibly resulting in the import of
componentA and componentB or whatever), then writes the result to a new
file, ~/.foo

If this .foo file is modified it diverges from what is in dotfiles. Worse,
any write in ~/dotfiles/_foo would cause any changes put in .foo by the
program to dissappear.

I'm not sure how to get around this just yet, other than suggest not using
this system for configuring programs that modify the rcs internally.
Although now that I think about it, a read could trigger a hook, calling a
per config file script which would know how to parse the config and possibly
decompose it to the appropriate templates.

 Anyway, good question, thanks!

Regards,
Erich

Dieter