Experiment managing dot-files with TopGit

Tommy Stanton tommystanton at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 20:24:46 CET 2011

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 8:24 AM, Antonio Ospite <ospite at studenti.unina.it> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> for those who don't know, TopGit[1] is a patch management system on top
> of git; basically what it offers is an easy way to track dependencies
> between git branches and export them to patches, so I tried to use it to
> manage my dot-files using one branch per program (a branch for vim
> files, a branch for bash files, etc.) having them merged together like
> in a "union" operation into a single branch.
>
> I wrote a Makefile (attached) to automate some tasks, and I've written a
> tutorial explaining how it works, temporarily here:
> http://shell.studenti.unina.it/~ospite/tmp/README.html
>
> I am also attaching the .txt version of the tutorial in case you want
> to quote something from it on reply.

Awesome initiative!  I think your project is similar to what I was
trying to accomplish with a Perl-powered 'git-home-sync' program.  I
think there are definitely some ideas in your README that I was
pondering as well.

I like that you are considering the branching power of Git in using it
to manage dot files...I've found a few other programs that use Git on
dot files, but they don't seem to consider things like remote branches
and merging. '...' is still on my TODO list for trying out. [0]

I have some presentations [1] and source code hosted [2], if anyone is
interested in checking it out. I used a working version of my program
to get my dot files synced initially on my current GNU/Linux boxes.
[3]

-Tommy

[0] https://github.com/ingydotnet/...

[1] http://tommystanton.com/presentations/ -- see
"20100430-Tommy_Stanton-Sync_Your_~_With_Git" (a working
'git-home-sync') and "20100922-Tommy_Stanton-App-Git-HomeSync" (an
improved, work-in-progress 'git-home-sync')

[2] http://tommystanton.com/git/app-git-homesync.git/ -- repository
for App::Git::HomeSync (the work-in-progress 'git-home-sync', on
branch 'moosex-app-cmd--dzil')

[3] http://tommystanton.com/git/app-git-homesync.git/plain/bin/git-home-sync?h=master&id=53d570f6bdd848be457be4e0d6c134efde5ffe8c