automatic merging of "set of lines" text files with a specific git merge driver (union?)

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Tue Feb 22 14:39:24 CET 2011

On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 13:33:44 +0000
seanh <snhmnd at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 09:24:16PM +0100, Dieter Plaetinck wrote:
> > hmm according to `man git`, it supports patience diff as option for
> > the recursive strategy (which is default for 3-way merges) in other
> > words: `git merge -X patience` should work.
> > or branch.recursive.mergeoptions=patience
> > I'll experiment a bit more..
>
> Really? I don't see that it man git. That would be great though.

maybe you need to upgrade:

14:37:00 dieter at Gi ~ git --version
git version 1.7.4.1
14:37:44 dieter at Gi ~ man git-merge | grep -C 1 patience

           patience
               With this option, merge-recursive spends a little extra time to avoid mismerges that sometimes occur due to unimportant matching lines (e.g., braces from distinct functions). Use this when
               the branches to be merged have diverged wildly. See also git-diff(1) --patience.