git-annex: can pull, but can’t push

Sean Whitton sean at silentflame.com
Wed Dec 14 16:04:06 CET 2011

Hi,

Set up git-annex the other day using a centralised, non-annex-capable
git repository according to [1].

On my second machine, my laptop, I don’t seem to be able to push to the
centralised repository: I am getting the error one gets when one hasn’t
yet done a pull and done a merge, but I definitely have:

,----
| var $ git pull
| Already up-to-date.
| var $ git push
| To gitosis:var.git
| ! [rejected]        git-annex -> git-annex (non-fast-forward)
| error: failed to push some refs to 'gitosis:var.git'
| To prevent you from losing history, non-fast-forward updates were rejected
| Merge the remote changes (e.g. 'git pull') before pushing again.  See the
| 'Note about fast-forwards' section of 'git push --help' for details.
| var $ git pull origin master git-annex
| From gitosis:var
|  * branch            master     -> FETCH_HEAD
|  * branch            git-annex  -> FETCH_HEAD
| Already up-to-date. Yeeah!
| var $ git push
| To gitosis:var.git
| ! [rejected]        git-annex -> git-annex (non-fast-forward)
| error: failed to push some refs to 'gitosis:var.git'
| To prevent you from losing history, non-fast-forward updates were rejected
| Merge the remote changes (e.g. 'git pull') before pushing again.  See the
| 'Note about fast-forwards' section of 'git push --help' for details.
`----

Am I just being stupid about using git, or am I misunderstanding
git-annex?

Thanks.

[1] http://git-annex.branchable.com/tips/centralized_git_repository_tutorial/