mr feature request: default to ~/.mrconfig when there is no .mrconfig in $PWD

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Sun Apr 3 17:13:50 CEST 2011

On Sat, 2 Apr 2011 22:29:44 -0400
Joey Hess <joey at kitenet.net> wrote:

> Richard Hartmann wrote:
> > the second request is that running mr anywhere without a .mrconfig in
> > $PWD, I would love to have mr read ~/.mrconfig by default (or possibly
> > $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/mr/config (no leading dot)). That would make running
> > mr from anywhere a lot easier & convenient.
>
> This is the default behavior from mr 1.00 on. In previous versions,
> it can be enabled by the -p flag.
>
> Note that you have to configure trust settings or mr will be very picky
> about the contents of .mrconfig files it finds in random directories.

I use mr 1.02-3, it definitely doesn't find $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/mr/config by default.

$ wc -l $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/mr/config
2 /home/dieter/.config/mr/config
$ mr update
mr update: no repositories found to work on

When I tell it to use the config explicitly, I get (as you said):

$ mr --config /home/dieter/.config/mr/config help
mr: illegal section "[$XDG_DATA_HOME/pim]" in
untrusted /home/dieter/.config/mr/config line 1 (To trust this file, list it
in ~/.mrtrust.)

If I tell mr explicitly to use a specific config, then I think it would be reasonable behavior to trust that file.  In fact, the whole reason I put the config in $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/mr/config, is to keep my home directory clean, an ~/.mrtrust file would completely defeat that.

Dieter