[announce] Sharebox, a FUSE filesystem relying on git-annex

Sun Apr 3 15:12:53 CEST 2011

On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 13:18, Rene Mayrhofer <r at doc.to> wrote:

> I've also been thinking about transparent encryption for git/git-annex/bup
> backends, but this is not even in a real design phase yet. If anybody is
> interested in discussing the issues involved with backing up to a
> potentially untrusted repository server, I'm more than happy to start with
> getting use cases together as a first step towards integrating encryption.

I know Joey pondered this as well, you will find some references on
git-annex' ikiwiki. This is needed for S3 in the medium term, anyway.

Basically, the plan is to encrypt the files with a symmetric key and
then allow access to that key via other keys. That way, you can share
some files between machines/people and still make sure no one gets at
stuff they shouldn't.

The way to encrypt object files' names is still somewhat open to
discussion, afaik.

Classical dilemma: Where should this be discussed? On this list or
within the ikiwiki? Maybe everyone interested should read through the
ikiwiki and after some discussion here, we can dump use cases, design
decisions etc back into ikiwiki as a TODO once Joey is happy with it?

Richard