Another dotfiles manager

chombee chombee at lavabit.com
Thu Mar 11 14:39:47 CET 2010

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 01:50:01PM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> > I think the killer point is that you can remove a file from the
> > .config directory and detect dangling symlinks, while you wouldn't
> > be able to tell a dangling hard link apart from an untracked
> > config file.
>
> Oh, but there might be other dangling symlinks, so to discern those
> managed from those external, the tool needs to keep track in a state
> file anyway.

Yeah. So far (in my python dotfile-manager script) I just took the
nuclear option: `dotfilemanager tidy ~` will find and delete all broken
symlinks in ~, whether they were made by dotfilemanager or not. (But at
least it doesn't recurse into subdirectories.) So far this brute
approach has been all I need, and I can use `dotfilemanager report` to
check what links it's going to delete before hand.