mr update on secondary machines

Joey Hess joey at kitenet.net
Sat Jun 12 01:01:07 CEST 2010

Abhishek Dasgupta wrote:
> I am using mr for updating my configuration repositories. Right now, the
> setup is quite simple, with my netbook as the primary computer, pushing
> to a git server at home.
>
> As I plan on using other machines with the configs as well, how can I
> configure so that git can pull via the ssh://git... address to my server
> in crontab? Is there any way ssh-agent can be accessed within crontab,
> or must these secondary machines pull via anonymous git:// URLs?
>
> Anonymous updating is OK, but I won't be able to push from these
> machines. Does anyone have an idea about how to get around this problem?

Hmm, your subject tricked me, this is not mr-specific. Anyway..

I sometimes just use git:// and in the rare case I need to push from
such a checkout, will git push ssh:// directly and enter a password.

I sometimes set up ssh keys that are only allowed to run git-shell on
the server. This is accomplished as follows in its .authorized-keys:
command="perl -e 'exec qw(git-shell -c), $ENV{SSH_ORIGINAL_COMMAND}'",no-agent-forwarding,no-port-forwarding,no-X11-forwarding ssh-rsa ...

I have this in .ssh/config, so that a special key will be used when
sshing to git.* domains. This way the limited use key is not used when
normally sshing to the server.

Host git.*
        IdentityFile ~/.ssh/id_rsa.git

--