Git merge disappointment

chombee chombee at lavabit.com
Mon Apr 26 21:11:21 CEST 2010

Well, you can use bzr's implementation of patience diff with git via the
GIT_EXTERNAL_DIFF environment variable, and newer versions of git have
their own implementation of patience diff that you can use with git diff
--patience, but these are for the git diff command only, not merging. To
get git to merge using patience diff you would need to write a custom
merge driver, which could use either bzr's or git's implementation of
patience diff and do the merge, or you'd need to patch git to add
something like a git merge --patience option.

I tested with bzr and it handles this particular use case cleanly. It
must use patience diff by default when merging. I might switch to bzr.