Git merge disappointment

chombee chombee at lavabit.com
Sun Apr 25 16:03:51 CEST 2010

On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 09:16:20PM -0500, Chanoch (Ken) Bloom wrote:
> Since the order of the entries in the BibTeX file doesn't matter (each
> is identified by its key), I found a very simple solution: every time I
> add a new entry, I add it at a *random* location somewhere in the middle
> of the file. This way, two machines don't have additions in the same
> place, so git sees them as different changes, and merges them
> automatically without conflict.

Yes, I imagine that would work! I was thinking that there should be some
way to coerce git's merge algorithm into producing the results I want.
In my case I wouldn't want to add each entry in a random place, the
notes file is supposed to be (more or less) chronological. But I wonder
if there's some change I could make to how I write notes that would
protect each entry, preventing it from being split into pieces by git's
Merge algorithm. You probably can't beat a custom merge script though.